(JTA) — A Vatican official apologized for comparing criticism directed at the Catholic Church over a widespread pedophilia scandal to anti-Semitic attacks on Jews.
“If — and it was not my intention to do so — I hurt the sensitivities of Jews and victims of pedophilia, I am truly sorry and I ask for forgiveness,” the Rev. Raniero Cantalamessa, the preacher of the papal household, said in an interview published Sunday in the Corriere della Sera newspaper.
After a heated campaign in which Assemblyman Dov Hikind opposed the candidacy of Councilman David Greenfield, the two officials joined forces on Wednesday to fill out their census forms at a press conference in their Borough Park district.
The event was to encourage residents to submit their information to the Census Bureau so that their communities will maintain political clout and funding.
“We are both committed to making the residents of Brooklyn our No. 1 priority,” Hikind told the Orthodox blog Vos Iz Neias.
Two months after a Jewish teen from White Plains was detained and briefly handcuffed after wearing his tefillin during morning prayers on a Kentucky-bound flight, the Transportation Security Administration has added information about the leather boxes and straps to briefing materials for security officials across the country.
(JTA) — Forty members of the House of Representatives signed a letter warning Cuba that improved relations are contingent on the release of a jailed Jewish American.
Alan Gross, 60, has been held since Dec. 3; he was arrested while reportedly assisting the Cuban Jewish community to connect to the Internet. His congressman, U.S. Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.), initiated the letter.
(JTA) — The only privately held original copy of Oskar Schindler’s list of Jews is on sale for $2.2 million.
Gary Zimet, a historic document sales specialist in upstate New York, told news outlets that he is selling the document on behalf of an anonymous seller. It will not be auctioned but be offered on a “first come, first served” basis on his Web site, MomentsInTime.com, he said.
(JTA) — A Chabad House was the target of last month’s bomb attack on a bakery in India, a government official said.
The Indian state of Maharashtra’s Chief Minister Ashok Chavan told the Indian Legislative Assembly Monday that the target of the attackers was the Pune Chabad House, located several yards from the German Bakery.
“There was adequate security near the Chabad House,” he told the Assembly. “Since the attackers could not break the security, they targeted the German Bakery.