The United States government “strongly” condemned the bombing of a bus near Tel Aviv.
“Violent acts targeting civilians are deplorable,” read the State Department statement late Sunday night, hours after the bus exploded in the coastal city of Bat Yam, near Tel Aviv. The bus had originated in Bnei Brak.
All the passengers had been removed from the bus after a fellow passenger noticed the suspicious package that contained the bomb.
“We reaffirm our unshakable bond with Israel and our solidarity with the Israeli people,” the statement concluded.
It was the first bus bombing attack in Israel in slightly over a year. Police are considering the bombing a terrorist attack, according to reports.
Palestinian terror groups welcomed the attack, but none claimed responsibility.
No suspects have been apprehended. Israeli security forces were checking cars entering the West Bank.
The bomb was placed in a black backpack with wires sticking out, and detonated as a sapper was working to defuse it.
Police sources have told Israeli and international media that it appeared to be a terror attack.
Passenger David Papo first identified the bomb and helped remove other passengers. In a telephone call, Israeli President Shimon Peres thanked Papo for his quick action.
Papo told Peres why he decided to examine the bag.
“I didn’t understand how someone could leave such a big bag on the bus,” Papo said. “I tried to lift the bag, but it was so heavy that it raised my suspicion further. When I opened the bag, I saw what it was.”
The Jewish Week feels comments create a valuable conversation and wants to feature your thoughts on our website. To make everyone feel welcome, we won't publish comments that are profane, irrelevant, promotional or make personal attacks.