Man Held In Cyprus For Planning attack on Israelis
07/24/12
Photo Galleria: 

A Swedish citizen of Lebanese origin suspected of planning to attack Israeli targets in Cyprus was ordered held over by a court there.

The Cypriot court on Monday ordered the man, 24, detained after noting the similarities between his actions and those of the Bulgarian suicide bomber who killed five Israelis and a Bulgarian bus driver in an attack on an Israeli tour bus at the Burgas airport.

The man in Cyprus had been arrested earlier this month, accused of tracking the movements of Jewish tourists, Reuters reported. He reportedly is being held on suspicion of espionage and conspiring to commit a crime.

Cypriot Justice Minister Loucas Louca said in a news conference Monday that the investigation will continue through Friday. He said the suspect belongs to an organization not on the European Union list of known terrorist groups, but did not name the group.

He was arrested two days after arriving in Cyprus with a list of tourist spots frequented by Israelis, according to reports.

Last Update:

07/25/2012 - 07:53

Comment Guidelines

The Jewish Week feels comments create a valuable conversation and wants to feature your thoughts on our website. To make everyone feel welcome, we won't publish comments that are profane, irrelevant, promotional or make personal attacks.

Add comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.