Lamm Deemed Unfit To Testify In Yeshiva U. Sex Abuse Case
09/30/13
Photo Galleria: 

Rabbi Norman Lamm, the former chancellor of Yeshiva University, was found unfit to testify in a $380 million sex abuse lawsuit against the school.

Dr. Elise Caccappolo of Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center said Lamm cannot provide reliable testimony, the New York Post reported, citing Lamm’s attorney Joel Cohen.

Caccappolo, a neuropsychologist, evaluated Lamm on Sept. 16.

“Dr. Caccappolo found that a deposition was unlikely to pose a risk or threat to Dr. Lamm’s health,” Cohen wrote to U.S. District Court Judge John Koetl last week, the Post reported. “However, after administering a battery of tests conducted over a period of nearly five hours, Dr. Caccappolo determined [in her written report] that ‘the pattern of Dr. Lamm’s cognitive impairment impedes his ability to independently comprehend and adequately respond to questions posed to him, as well to reliably retrieve and report past information.”

Koetl had ruled earlier that the choice of doctor should be agreed upon by Yeshiva University and former students of Y.U. institutions who are suing the school.

The students allege they were sexually abused between 1976 and 2003, when Lamm was chancellor, according to The Forward and other media outlets.

Lamm is among top members of Y.U.’s former administration named in the suit filed by 19 former students of the Yeshiva University High School for Boys in Manhattan.

In July in a letter announcing his retirement, Lamm, 85, acknowledged mishandling the abuse allegations decades earlier. He apologized for not alerting police when he learned of the abuse accusations. Lamm also indicated that he may be suffering from a decline in his mental acuity.

Lawyers for the students said they wanted to depose Lamm as soon as possible due to fears that his mental status could further deteriorate, according to The Forward, which first published details of the abuse claims against two former Yeshiva University staff members late last year.

editor@jewishweek.org

 

Last Update:

10/03/2013 - 18:27

Comment Guidelines

The Jewish Week feels comments create a valuable conversation and wants to feature your thoughts on our website. To make everyone feel welcome, we won't publish comments that are profane, irrelevant, promotional or make personal attacks.

Since there is zero proof against Rabbi Gordon, I am sure that YU will be very happy to proceed with the lawsuit where, if Flavor is correct, they are sure to win. On the other hand...

Errors in this report- 36 alumni are now part of the lawsuit, suing for $680 million dollars as a result of YU's alleged decades of orchestrated cover-up of sexual abuse of its high school students.

Every American citizen has a right to defend themselves. I would hate to see the United States turn into Stalinist Russia where a mere accusation unaccompanied by evidence could hurt somebody. Had a lawsuit been brought immediately Rabbi Lamm could have been ordered to talk. The two defendants or accused persons are long gone to Israel. This looks like an impossible battle. There is also no DNA evidence,witness testimony or anything else to back up the claims. Parents knew the situation and permitted their kids to remain. How bad could it have been? Many of the accusers stayed at YU for college and even grad school. How bad could it have been? Child abuse is horrid and probably one of the worst things in the world. Being accused of it if one is innocent is worse. The case here is very week,especially against Rabbi Gordon. There is zero proof.

Add comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.