Hawaii’s Schatz Makes 11 Jewish Senators
12/27/12
Staff Writer
Photo Galleria: 

Hawaii, which had a Jewish governor for eight recent years, will have a Jewish senator in the next Congress.

Lt. Gov. Brian Schatz, who served in the state’s House of Representatives in 1998-’06, was appointed this week by Gov. Neil Abercrombie to succeed Sen. Daniel Inouye, who died Dec. 17 at 88. Schatz was to be sworn in Thursday.

Schatz’s appointment brings the number of Jewish senators back to 11, following the retirement of Connecticut’s Joseph Lieberman.

“I make this decision with full confidence that Brian’s appointment is in the best interest of the state of Hawaii and the nation,” Abercrombie aid in a prepared statement.

Linda Lingle, Republican governor of Hawaii in 2002-’10, lost a Senate race last month.

Schatz, 40, will serve until a special election is held in 2014. Former chairman of the state’s Democratic Party, he led Barack Obama’s election campaign in Hawaii in 2008. He earlier served as CEO of Helping Hands Hawaii, a social services provider.

The 113 session of Congress starts Jan. 3.

Hawaii has an estimated Jewish population of 10,000. The first mention of Jews there was an entry in a 1798 log by Ebenezer Townsend, a sailor on the whaling ship Neptune, that the king came aboard accompanied by “a Jew cook.”

steve@jewishweek.org

Last Update:

12/29/2012 - 16:25

Comment Guidelines

The Jewish Week feels comments create a valuable conversation and wants to feature your thoughts on our website. To make everyone feel welcome, we won't publish comments that are profane, irrelevant, promotional or make personal attacks.

Interesting article; thanks Steve.

Good Stuff!

We're only, what, about 1.5% of the US population and we have more than 10% of the US Senate locked up. Not to mention the power of AIPAC and others to pressure the other 90%. Now if we can just get a able-minded Republican back in the WH we can finally eliminate the Iranian threat.

Add comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.