A 25-year-old Jewish woman has been voted Germany's sexiest female politician.
Marina Weisband, a leading member of the "Pirate Party Germany," took first place in a Playboy online poll with 29 percent of the votes. According to the Bild Zeitung newspaper, 1,000 people took part in the poll.
Coming in second was the Left Party politician Sahra Wagenknecht, with 28 percent of the vote.
Weisband came to Germany with her family from Ukraine in 1994, in the wave of Jewish emigration following the fall of the Berlin Wall and. the collapse of the Soviet Union. She joined the Pirate Party -- a progressive liberal party that promotes Internet freedom -- in 2009 and served as its executive director from May 2011 to April 2012. During her tenure, she reportedly took on the issue of anti-Semitism and right-wing extremism among some party members.
Weisband now is pursuing a PhD in psychology. She has not ruled out a return to political activism but will not run as a candidate for the Bundestag this year.
The Bild newspaper notes that Germany's chancellor, Angela Merkel, age 58, got only 3 percent of the Playboy vote.
- German Muslims Rally For Tolerance Amid Rising Anti-Muslim Protests
- German Jewish Magazine To Hide Publication’s Name In Deliveries
- German Leftist Party Introduces Resolution To Recognize Palestinian State
- Merkel: Anti-Semitism In Germany ‘More Widespread Than We Can Imagine’
- Forbes Ranks Janet Yellen, Zuckerberg And Netanyahu Among World’s ‘Most Powerful’
ADD YOUR COMMENT
The Jewish Week feels comments create a valuable conversation and wants to feature your thoughts on our website. To make everyone feel welcome, we won't publish comments that are profane, irrelevant, promotional or make personal attacks.