B’nai B’rith International disassociated itself from an article critical of Gilad Shalit published in a Canadian Jewish newspaper closely associated with B’nai Brith Canada.
In anticipation of Shalit’s four-city visit to Canada in September, the Jewish Tribune criticized the former captive Israeli soldier.
“The Jewish Tribune story in no way represents the views of B’nai B’rith International or its members and supporters around the world,” B’nai B’rith International said in a statement. “B’nai B’rith International has the deepest respect for Shalit and the horrors he endured as a Hamas captive.”
The statement added that the organization hosted Shalit as a guest at the B’nai B’rith Europe Young Jewish Adult Forum in London last November, where he was made an honorary B’nai B’rith International member.
Atara Beck, the Tribune’s Israel correspondent, in the story published last week by Canada’s largest Jewish newspaper wrote, “While his story is intriguing and his return heartwarming, some have expressed concern that by appearing worldwide as an invited guest speaker, Shalit — who showed no resistance during his abduction nor made any attempt to protect his fellow IDF soldiers — could now become a new Israeli icon.”
The article did not cite any sources critical of Shalit’s visit. He is scheduled to make appearances in Toronto, Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver.
The newspaper also published a letter referring to Shalit as a “stumblebum” and calling his visit a “dubious honor.”
The Jewish Week's call to the paper's editor, Norm Gordner, was not returned as of Thursday afternoon.
Shalit was the only member of a three-man crew who survived a cross-border, guerrilla-style attack on June 25, 2006 by armed Palestinians who captured him and hid him in Gaza. He was released in a 2011 deal with Hamas in exchange for 1,027 prisoners, many of them convicted terrorists responsible for killing Israelis.
The head of the Jewish National Fund of Canada, Shalit’s host for his Canada visit, said the planned speaking venues will be full.
“The response to it has been overwhelmingly positive,” CEO Josh Cooper told the Canadian Jewish News.
Cooper told the Tribune that Shalit was not being honored by the JNF, but rather his visit was a way of thanking those in Canada who supported him during his captivity.
Shimon Fogel, CEO of the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs, defended Shalit’s visit. “He represented the very ethos that the Jewish state, Israel and the Jewish community in the Diaspora will do what it can do, however wrenching, to secure the release of those who served the state,” Fogel told CJN.
In other Shalit news, Hamas posted a video showing him preparing to be released.
The 38-second video posted to the Internet on Wednesday shows Shalit buttoning a new shirt, tying his shoes and getting out of his chair flanked by Hamas operatives. It also shows photos of other Israelis kidnapped and killed by Hamas and ends with the words, in Arabic, “We started to achieve the goal, and we will reach the end.”
The video, below, was prepared by the Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades, the military wing of Hamas.
Related Recommended Reading
Get The Jewish Week Newsletter
The Jewish Week feels comments create a valuable conversation and wants to feature your thoughts on our website. To make everyone feel welcome, we won't publish comments that are profane, irrelevant, promotional or make personal attacks.