Within hours of a ceasefire between Israel and Palestinian factions in Gaza, reportedly brokered by Egypt, two rockets were fired into southern Israel, the Israel Defense Forces reported Monday.
"Just now, despite the ceasefire, 2 more rockets were fired from gaza into southern Israel, home to more than 1 million Israelis," the IDF's spokesperson said in a Twitter message.
On Monday evening, four Qassam rockets were fired from northern Gaza at souther communities, Arutz Sheva reported, with one landing south of Ashkelon and three others in open areas at the Hof Ashkelon Regional Council. No damage or injuries were reported.
The Popular Resistance Committee, blamed for last week's coordinated attacks near Eilat that left eight Israelis dead, on Monday announced a "temporary halt of rocket fire," according to reports.
Hamas reportedly agreed to enforce the ceasefire on smaller Palestinian terrorist groups in Gaza.
Israeli officials told reporters that the ceasefire was unilaterally declared by the Palestinians. Still, Israel has not launched any retaliatory strikes on Gaza since midnight on Sunday.
At least four rockets from Gaza were fired at Israel early Monday morning. One was intercepted by the Iron Dome missile defense system and one landed near a public building in Israel's south, damaging the building.
The ceasefire comes after a five-day barrage of rockets fired from Gaza on southern Israel, to which Israel responded to with retaliatory strikes on sites in Gaza. Twelve rockets were fired at Israel after the original ceasefire was to go into effect on Sunday afternoon.
Related Recommended Reading
The Jewish Week feels comments create a valuable conversation and wants to feature your thoughts on our website. To make everyone feel welcome, we won't publish comments that are profane, irrelevant, promotional or make personal attacks.