Reuven Herbst, the 5-year-old Jewish boy, who was electrocuted by a downed power line during Hurricane Irene, has died.
Reuven, of Spring Valley in suburban New York, died last Friday in the pediatric burn unit at the Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, where he had been in critical condition since Aug. 28, according to reports.
The boy and his father were walking through a puddle near their home when they came in contact with a fence that was electrified by the fallen wire.
When the power went out in our house Sunday afternoon, I was able to e-mail a friend and neighbor (thanks to my trusty BlackBerry) to ask if he’d lost power, too. He wrote back to say yes, adding: “But Jews were powerless for 2,000 years, and we’re still here.”
Last week's earthquake that cracked the Washington Monument revealed additional evidence that televangelist Pat Robertson may be even more cracked. The earth tremor may have been a sign from God that could foretell the end of the world, he said.