Ditch Generali Settlement, Survivors Told
12/19/07
Staff Writer
Photo Galleria: 
Holocaust survivors and their heirs whose claims were denied by the Italian insurance giant Assicurazioni Generali or by the International Commission on Holocaust Era Insurance Claims are being advised to opt out of the proposed settlement with Generali. Both the New York Legal Assistance Group, which provides legal assistance to hundreds of survivors, and the National Association of Jewish Holocaust Survivors (NAHOS) made the recommendation and urged that even if these people received a $1,000 3humanitarian2 payment they exclude themselves before next Wednesday’s [Dec. 26] deadline. “The settlement offers them nothing and would result in a total termination of their rights against Generali,” NAHOS said in a statement. Meanwhile, Brooklyn Assemblyman Dov Hikind (D-Brooklyn) is asking the German government to fulfill its pledge to pay about $140 million to those who voluntarily worked in specific Holocaust-era ghettos. Hikind said the money is “being stalled by vexing and cumbersome protocols and criteria” and those eligible for “modest one-time payments” include those whose claims were previously rejected by the program under the Ghetto Pension Law.

Last Update:

09/10/2009 - 08:50

Comment Guidelines

The Jewish Week feels comments create a valuable conversation and wants to feature your thoughts on our website. To make everyone feel welcome, we won't publish comments that are profane, irrelevant, promotional or make personal attacks.

Add comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.